Saturday, August 16, 2008

West Helena Mayor: A is A; A is NOT A.

Here's a charming little quote from West Helena's little dictator:

Mayor James Valley sees it this way: “Now if somebody wants to sue us, they have an option to sue, but I’m fairly certain that a judge will see it the way the way the citizens see it here. The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK, and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution.”


Vice-Dictator Eugene "Red" Johnson chimes in:

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."


There have been several instances where I have had trouble sleeping and as a result, smoked up all my cigarettes. So I went to the 24/7 convenience store and bought more. Tell me, "Red" (apt nickname, by the way) whose rights am I violating by doing so? And tell me what exactly the purpose of 24/7 convenience stores is if nobody has any business being out after what YOU deem are appropriate hours?

On CBS, Dictator Valley pipes up again:

"I've heard the critics, and they make an academic argument, but I invite them to come down here on the streets and deal with the problems we've been dealin' with," said Mayor James Valley.


The United States Constitution is not an academic argument.

No comments: