Monday, August 10, 2009

Text of my email to Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, Sens. Bond & McCaskill

I have found at least three different versions of the health care bill that contain an individual requirement to buy insurance.

I have no income. If this requirement passes, it will be literally impossible for me to comply. You may as well add on a rider to build debtors' prisons all across the country, because there will be a lot of people who cannot buy insurance. If we could afford it, we would already HAVE it.

I have heard Barack Obama and others say the poor will be reimbursed with tax credits. This demonstrates how completely out of touch Washington is with the real people of this country. Tax credits do ZERO good to people who are too poor to pay taxes.

I urge you to do everything within your power to keep the individual requirement from becoming law if it is not paid for up-front, perhaps through a voucher system. Vote against the entire bill if you have to.

Respectfully,
John Hutchison

No comments: